The ODK-X Tool Suite is free and open-source software for collecting, managing, and using data in resource-constrained environments.
Two-way data sync¶
A two-way synchronization protocol allows you to create data management applications with:
- Follow-up surveys and repeat data collection locations
- Pre-filled forms for faster data collection
- Data can be synced to all devices from the server
Offline data collection¶
Allows users to collect data without an internet connection. Form data can be synced to the server when the user has internet access.
View data on device¶
Investigate and visualize entire datasets directly on the device through graphical, map, and tabular displays and through filtered views.
User access control¶
Control data viewing, editing and deleting privileges for different users and groups.
Customizable survey flows and appearance¶
List of Tools¶
The ODK-X Tool Suite consists of:
- Using ODK-X Survey - a customizable data collection application.
- Using ODK-X Tables - a data curation and visualization application that can also run custom-built data collection workflows.
- Using ODK-X Services - an application for user authentication and data synchronization between the ODK-X applications.
- ODK-X Cloud Endpoints - a cloud server to host data and application files, and to support bi-directional data synchronization across mobile devices.
- ODK-X Suitcase - a desktop tool for synchronizing data with a cloud endpoint.
- ODK-X Application Designer - a design environment for creating, customizing, and previewing your forms, data curation, and visualization applications. This is where you build your ODK-X applications.
ODK-X mobile applications are available for Android devices only.
Selecting the Right Tools to Use¶
The ODK-X tools can operate independently – you are not required to use all the tools, or even install them on your device. Some example tool combinations are:
Field data collection¶
- ODK-X Application Designer: data collection form creation
- ODK-X Survey: data collection
- ODK-X Services: data sync and database access
- ODK-X Cloud Endpoints: data and application files cloud server
Trying It Out¶
The Trying Out an ODK-X Survey Application walks you through the process of using a basic survey-focused application and submitting data to the server. The Trying Out an ODK-X Tables Application walks you through the process of using a basic tables-focused application and submitting data to the server.